A dental implant is a procedure that takes several processes done over several months. Suppose you have been struggling with your smile’s aesthetics or have loose or missing teeth. In that case, Dr. Mohammed Ali from Implants pro Center can restore your pearly whites by placing dental implants. But before your big day, we want you to be aware of a few tips on how to prepare for your dental implants’ surgery. Small preparation steps will help get your body ready for the procedures. In contrast, others will be healed after oral surgeries are done. Here is what you require to be prepared before dental implant treatment.
1. Get a thorough oral examination
The detailed oral analysis helps a dentist determine if a patient is the right person for dental implants. It also provides valuable information that the dentist uses to prepare a proper treatment plan. The dentist will thoroughly examine the patient by taking x-rays, visual exams, and going through the patient’s previous medical data.
The step-by-step process of placing the implant depends on the following:
- Suppose a patient has a weak or suppressed immune system. In that case, the dentist will give him/her antibiotics before and after every oral surgery.
- If the patient is allergic to anesthetic or any dental materials, the dentist will use some substitutes.
- Suppose the patient is under any medication that could interact with the anesthetic or affect the dental implant surgeries. In that case, the dentist usually adjusts the treatment plan accordingly.
- If the patient’s jaw is required to be prepared, the dentist will perform bone grafts or jaw reshaping to the treatment plan.
- If the patient is exceptionally healthy, the dentist may select to place the implant and abutment during a single surgery. In a few cases, the dentist may even fit the crown along with the dental implant and abutment.
- Based on the evaluation results, the dentist will prepare a treatment that will cater to the patient’s requirements. They will take the patient through the customized treatment plan and advise them on preparing for each procedure.
2. Proper Planning is Needed
As with any dental implant surgery, you’ll need to make plans before you come into Dr. Ali’s office for your dental implant procedure. If you have IV sedation for your procedure, you will be unable to drive yourself home after your procedure. Ensure you have someone bring you to your booking, sit in the waiting room while your dental implants are being placed, and be ready to take you home when Dr. Ali discharges you.
Once you’re resting easily at home, you’ll still need to have a little bit of assistance for a couple of days. Ask friends or family to take care of your kids, cook meals for a couple of days for your family. We know how arduous it is to ask for anybody’s help. Still, you don’t want to put yourself in a difficult position where you end up doing too much too soon and end up in more pain than necessary.
3. Be Well-Informed Before Your Surgery
When you visit Dr. Ali for your initial dental implant consultation, be sure you ask any questions about the procedure. No problem is too small or insignificant. Dr. Ali wants each of his patients to be well-learned before making decisions about dental procedures, so he is happy to answer any doubts you have.
4. Start A Dose Of Antibiotics If Needed
Get a medical implant or organ transplant. You may use immunosuppressant medicines to prevent the body from attacking the dental implants. Before having dental implants attached, you must take antibiotics, which take up the role of an alternative immune system. For this reason, patients with chronic issues must take antibiotics before and after getting the dental implants done.
5. Prepare the body for the procedure itself
Receive oral surgery under general anesthesia. You will have to fast for 12 hours before the implant surgery starts. You should also use loose, comfortable clothing that will help the procedure to go smoothly.
6. Get your jaw prepared if needed
Suppose your jaw cannot anchor the implant properly for any reason. In that case, your dentist will enhance its structure in one of the following ways:
- Going for a bone graft to make it stronger to hold an implant.
- They may reshape the jaw if required.
- If the jaw is too bulky, the dentist will eliminate some bone from the jaw.
- The dentist will also eliminate any impacted teeth found inside your jaw.
- After the jaw recovers, the remaining dental implant procedures can be done.
7. Schedule downtime and prepare for after-care
After each procedure, some soreness and swelling are expected, so you will need to rest and heal.
It would assist if you gave yourself a few days off by making a few arrangements before every surgery:
- Consume soft foods and also pain medication.
- Get two days off from work or other social appointments.
- Have a relaxed schedule for a week after the implant surgery.
- Take a break of some days from physical exercise.
- Arranging for childcare or help around the house for the first two days after oral surgery
Hence, the way you take care of yourself before and after each procedure will affect how fast and how well you heal. The practice may sound like a good deal of work, do not worry. The dentist will guide you every step of the way. Choose Dr. Ali for all your implant dentistry needs. Our practice serves clients located throughout San Francisco. Please book your appointment today at Implants Pro Center to learn more about dental implants and other restorative dentistry work at our practice. We are always here for a consultation at your convenience. You can know more about dental implants and our treatment approaches by booking an appointment with us. At Implants Pro Center©, we accept all the primary dental and medical PPO insurances and also Medicare, thereby reducing your anxiety about the expense of various dental implant treatments. We have a much experienced and caring team for your life-long care, maintenance, and dental assistance. Implants Pro Center© is also furnished with modern technologies like CT-Scan, Intravenous Sedation, Platelet Rich Fibrin, etc. to provide you nothing less than the best services ever!